Workforce Development Manager
Reports to: Financial Empowerment Director
We’re looking for a passionate educator interested in making a difference in the lives of young adults and working professionals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized, self-motivated individual who likes to create new systems and build programs. In this role, the Workforce Development Manager will be responsible for leading the workforce program in the newly formed Financial Empowerment Center. At the Opa-locka Community Development Corporation, we’ve expanded into workforce development to help upskill and provide counseling/support to low-wage individuals. In this capacity, the Workforce Development Manager will be responsible for building the program, counseling clients, hosting workshops, building relationships with local businesses and serving as point of contact with our funding partners. This is a
full-time position that will be responsible for managing one team member.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and provide training in the areas of employability skills workshops; assist in teaching classes
• Serve as a Success Coach to help ensure newly employed candidates are successful in their roles
• Coach clients in resume development and preparation, interviewing techniques and structured job search activities.
• Guides the use of labor market information, job search resources, and other tools that prepare customers to make
informed employment choices.
• Serve as a client advocate and assists clients by introducing and accessing the workforce development system and many
resources and services.
• Provide referrals to partners and other community agencies. Increases communication access between employers/labor
market and job seekers.
• Provide resources to employers by interacting with human resource associations, economic development, business, and
civic organizations. Engages business community by creating and implementing strategies and action plans to meet
businesses; employee recruitment, retention, and training needs and introducing workforce development services to local
business owners through group presentations and personal contact to establish resource relationship in coordination with
economic development departments.
• Participate and support outreach and recruitment efforts by promoting and publicizing training classes/workshops,
including presenting at job fairs and community events.
• Evaluate participants and interests, education, and experience to determine possible employment placements and/or
develop an employability plan to further participants and successful entry into the workforce. Documents customer
progress and goals by creating and updating case notes.
• Facilitate orientations, informal seminars, and one-on-one sessions with customers.
• Document all services provided to the clients and activities of the clients from enrollment through follow-up as required.
• Work closely with education partners to host training classes
• Develop relationships with HR Managers at local businesses to develop hiring pipeline for graduating candidates
• Liaise with funding partners through regular meetings and program reports
• Research and apply for additional funding opportunities
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Bachelors degree or higher.
• Previous experience, training or knowledge about workforce development, candidate screening and project
• Excellent verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to initiate, plan, organize, direct, coordinate, and control projects independently.
• Attention to detail and timely follow-up; exceptional planning and experience executing projects
• Ability to organize and prioritize competing priorities
• Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team;
• Innovative, creative thinker and idea generator
• Ability to work independently, prioritize, organize, problem solve and exercise good judgment with minimal supervision.
• Must have knowledge of resume building, interviewing, and networking.
• Must posses an extensive understanding effective job posting strategies and resources
• Advanced working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and basic internet research techniques.
• Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus
• Willingness to work flexible, varying hours, including evenings and weekends as needed
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.