Updated: Aug 4, 2021
You don’t have to be in downtown Miami to experience the Adrienne Arsht Center this summer. On Thursday, August 12th from 6-9 pm, you can visit the ARC in downtown Opa-locka for the latest Arsht on the Road event!
Here are five reasons why you won’t want to miss out:
1. Take in the Casting Shadows | Framing Histories exhibition. Curated by Tumelo Mosaka, this multi-media display includes original works by emerging artists Terence Price II, Keisha Rae Witherspoon and Carrington Ware. Take your time during the first half of the event perusing indoor gallery space at the ARC, viewing rich counter-narratives about Black culture and history, told through the lens of archival and original footage.
2. Live jazz music. Grab a complimentary glass of wine and step out into the ARC courtyard to enjoy a set of live jazz music by the Rashaad Greene Trio (RG Three), inspired by the Casting Shadows | Framing Histories exhibition. RG Three uses their heavily diverse backgrounds to bring a high-level and enjoyable music performance.
3. An affordable, high-quality cultural arts experience. Part of OLCDC’s mission is to make quality art experiences more accessible to the community. That usually means finding ways to make arts and cultural programming and installations affordable and convenient to attend. Thanks to partners like the Adrienne Arsht Center, OLCDC is able to layer other cultural expressions onto the visual exhibition for a truly unique experience.
4. Get a guided tour of the Opa-locka Light District. Custom-built projectors have been added to a series of lamp posts along Opa-locka Boulevard, transforming sidewalks and the sides of buildings into interactive poetry displays. The poems are visible from dusk till dawn. But if you don’t often find yourself in downtown Opa-locka after sundown, here’s your chance to get a guided group tour of this special installation.
5. Get to know Opa-locka. The City of Opa-locka is full of history and culture, and OLCDC is on a mission to make sure everyone gets to experience #OpalockaArt. Find out what else Opa-locka has to offer you when you join us for this event.
About Arsht on the Road
The Arsht Center takes the arts on the road! Beginning October 28 and continuing every Wednesday and Saturday, the Arsht Center will bring the arts into Miami-Dade County’s diverse neighborhoods with 45 - 60 minute pop-up performances at surprise locations. Featured artists, all Miami-based, include The French Horn Collective, Lady of Harp, circus and acrobat acts from Rainbow Circus, Crankdatbass, and more! Follow the Arsht Center and share your photos and videos on social using #ArshtOnTheRoad.